Hodge Podge Kitchen

Thursday, January 27, 2005

On the trail of good eats II


So the way this food blog is set up is pretty clear. My sister, the experienced worldly cook, shows off her adventurous culinary adventures. While me, the beginniner brother, tries not to burn too many pots enroute to an edible meal (and as soon as sisisa post something, I will figure what she contributes). Continuing my post from my own blog, I decided to make myself dinner....

I was in an interesting situation the other night. My wife is sick and in bed all weekend, with no appetite at all. My kids were at my parents, who were gracious enough to watch them and feed them dinner. So I was left to fend for myself. Cooking for yourself is weird. No recipe in the world is set for one serving, and I didn't want too much leftovers to take up space in the fridge. I bought porkchops with plans for a brine but never got around to it with my wife being sick. So in a pinch, I pulled out some flour, some random spices, mix it all together with a fork, and rolled two porkchops around in it, and slid it in a hot pan. I cooked it for about 4 minutes on each side (they were pretty thick) until brown, and set it aside on a plate. This is where I used my Good Eats knowledge and proceeded to make myself some gravy. The drippings are the best part! I put about a cup and a half of chicken broth in the pan and let it reduce to about half. I then added about a half cup of milk to make it creamy. I then put the porkchops back in the pan and let it simmer in the gravy for a few more minutes (I was worried about the thickness of the pork chops). Simple? you bet. Delicious? It was ok. I was pretty happy with it considering I pretty much made it up in a pinch. I was also proud that I really learned something from watching all that Good Eats...I should really thank Alton Brown some time....hey wait, I think I will.....

(Ok, back to my blog for the exciting conclusion...)Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home