Hodge Podge Kitchen

Friday, January 27, 2006

Meringues



Even though meringue and macaroon are both made with egg whites, I prefer the crunch of th meringue a whole lot more. Chris prefers the macaroons, so I have been making those for him the last couple of time we happened to have extra egg whites on hand. This time, I had 6 egg whites. So I decided to make both. I only ended up meringues though, somehow my macaroons didn't quite hold and became all flat and gooey. At least the meringues are good. This recipe is from the Everyday Food tv show.

Chocolate Chips Meringues

4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 bag (about 16 oz) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 225F. Whip the egg whites with cream of tartar, vanilla extract and salt together until soft peaks form in stand mixer. Slowly start adding sugar and whip until stiff peaks form, but not dry. Fold in a chocolate chips (I used the white/semi-sweet chocolate chips) carefully. Use about 1/4 cup of meringue/chocolate chips mixture for each meringue. Bake for 1 1/2 hour on parchment paper or slipmat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home