Hodge Podge Kitchen

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Banana Stuffed French Toast


My favorite meal has got to be breakfast. Everything for breakfast is good...except the morning part. Around here, we have breakfast for dinner all the time (pancakes, eggs, bacon, etc.). I read in the food section of a newspaper that you can make french toast ahead of time and bake it in the morning. That sounded great for a lazy guy like me so before I went to bed, I went to work in the kitchen...

8 slices of bread (Thicker the better, see notes)
2-3 large ripe bananas
5 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

- Spray baking pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Lay out 4 slices of bread on the baking pan, place sliced bananas onto bread and cover with rest of bread.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract and pour over bread evenly. - Carefully turn over bread and spoon mixture over the top. Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully transfer toast to plate. Top with powder sugar, fresh fruit, maple syrup, or whatever you want.

Note: Of course, real french toast would use french bread. I was planning on that except that my days old french bread petrified and I almost lost a knife (it was stuck in the bread). If French bread was at hand you would simply make a cut on one side and put the bananas inside the "pocket."

It turned out pretty good. I think it could have cooked a little longer. My kids weren't such big fans, which was a surprise since they love those Eggo Waffles and French Toast sticks that we get from our store's frozen section. Ah well, what I get for trying to get fancy with them.

Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

  • This sounds great since I hate to get up and prep food but I love breakfast too. I know what you mean about tough French bread LOL.

    Love the photos!

    I am at http://snackish.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Suebob, at 8:48 PM  

  • This sounds great since I hate to get up and prep food but I love breakfast too. I know what you mean about tough French bread LOL.

    Love the photos!

    I am at http://snackish.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Suebob, at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home