Hodge Podge Kitchen

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Fish Tales

(Due to technical diificulties, no visual aid will be available for this one...I left my camera in Britt's purse and she was at work)

I found some time this weekend and decided to whip something up. I actually have a few things in the freezer waiting to be used when I have the time. This includes a piece of salmon filet that probably has been in the freezer a week too long. I didn't really know what to do with it since I usually have my salmon only a few ways. Raw was my favorite but that was obviously out of the question. My parents were fans of using the Foreman grill for a quick sear but I wanted something different. I browsed around for recipes and ran into the problem of not really having...well...any of the ingredients required. So like a lot of stuff that I've been making lately, I took ideas of a few recipes and made something based on what I had on hand. I decided to bake the salmon because I don't think I have ever had it that way. The salmon was skinned and sliced into two pieces and placed on foil on a baking sheet. I placed a pat of butter on each piece, season with salt and pepper and dill weed (I was surprised that I had some too. Thanks to a spice rack I got for Christmas). Diced tomatoes were placed on top and I finished it off with a squeeze of lemon juice. I tucked the thin end of the filet under to help even the cooking. It baked at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, when it was taken out and covered with foil for another 10 minutes to finish cooking a bit. (I kept reading about it being ready when flaked with a fork. I do not quite know what that means) It was good. I think the tomatoes helped bring flavor and combat the fishiness of my less than fresh piece of fish along with the lemon juice. I ended up eating alone though as my parents fed the girls and Britt had to leave for work. The second piece was donated to Jason so you can ask him if it was any good. Next time I'll make sure to have a picture....

3 Comments:

  • Flake...as in, breaks into little pieces when you pick at it with a fork - as opposed to..well...not...

    Eating old fish is scary. More power to you ;)
    -Tim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 PM  

  • Look at Tim defining cooking terms! Now if only he cooks... =)

    By Blogger Winnie, at 5:28 PM  

  • Hey the fish was frozen and then completely cooked through. Excuse me for not having freshly caught fish, Mr. fancy-pants!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home