Hodge Podge Kitchen

Monday, March 14, 2005

Saturday Night Fever...


(My sister is threatening to kick me off of this blog since she has been the only one to post lately. But since I haven't had the time to cook much of anything lately, I will have to take it on the road and share my food experience instead)

I had a rare opportunity to go on a date with my wife on Saturday night. It's not so much that we can't find a babysitter. My parents are usually happy to take the girls and stuff them with food the whole time they are there. We just use up those chances to do other stuff, usually with other people or something not so romantic like shopping. We were going to go to a comedy show but there wasn't anyone in town that we were really excited about so we just went out to dinner in the City instead. We have a friend that we met in San Jose who moved to Morocco to teach. Since then Britt has wanted to go try Moroccan food and this was a great opportunity to find a place. We settled on a place on Geary Blvd. called Aziza. It turned out to be a little fancier than we had intended I think, but the atmosphere was cool. We ended up eating pretty light and shared an appetizer of toasted goat cheese with a tomato compote, followed by sharing a baked meat pie called a bastila. It was delicious. It's basically chicken with a lot of fragant Middle Eastern spices inside a flaky pastry with sugar and cinnamon on top. I would love to try some of their other stuff in a future...maybe someone's birthday or something....

Since we kept it light we went out looking for dessert. I had always wanted to try this crepes place in Japantown. You can get both savory and dessert fillings in your crepes and they are quite popular. After finally deciding on a banana and nutella filling (Nutella is a popular choice and I don't think I've ever had the stuff. If it was good enough for Kobe Bryant...) We endured the wait. The line wasn't long at all but there is basically one lady making two crepes at a time so a crowd forms around the counter with their numbers. Luckily watching her make the thing is fascinating so it made the wait much easier. Britt got a kiwi and whipped cream with a scoop of ice cream (pictured). We both enjoyed it very much. It was a lovely evening spent both with my wife and with new food experiences...

(btw, since we started a French theme, we went home to watch Casablanca just to keep the mood. Then we french kissed, and then......)Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

  • Chris and I must've been to Aziza on a really bad night. We were there for the Dine-About-Town thing back in January. It took us 2 1/2 hours to finish dinner there. I had the couscous aziza for the main course and that wasn't bad. But both our first courses (the scallops and the seafood triangles) and Chris' main course (black cod claypot) all have a strong bleach taste to them. Dessert was good though, at least my chocolate pot was really good. Chris had the european ice cream man and I think that was good too. Not sure we're going to go back, one bad experience was enough when there's so many others to try.

    By Blogger Winnie, at 9:11 PM  

  • When we told our waitress that we were just sharing the bastila she did tell us that if we decided to get something else to let her know soon because it can take a while. If we got something else we probably would have gotten that couscous since it had everything in it. Ah well, probably not the only Morrocan place around....

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home