Hodge Podge Kitchen

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Coconut-Pineapple Cupcake



I was planning on making these last week for IMBB #13. Stuff happened and well, I ended up making these for a potluck at work this week instead. I'm quite excited about it since I mostly "created" this recipe. Mostly due to the fact that I do have a basic recipe as reference. These came out really moist and very strong coconut taste. For those who likes coconut, this one is good to try.

Coconut-Pineapple Cupcakes
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted with flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup dried coconut
1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks, cut into small dices and well drained
Preheat oven to 375F. Whip egg whites with a couple tablespoons of the sugar until soft peaks form. In a separate mixing bowl, whip butter with the rest of the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time to the butter; mix in the coconut milk next. Add the flour and baking powder to the butter/egg mixture. Finally, fold in the egg whites, coconut, and pineapple. Line a standard size muffin/cupcake pan with paper liner. Fill each to about 3/4 full. (I got about 15 cupcakes out of the batter.) Bake for 30 minutes.
Pineapple Glaze/Coconut Topping
1/2 cup dried coconut
1/8 cup pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple)
1 cup powder sugar
After the cupcake is cool, toast dried coconut in a dry skillet until golden brown. Mix pineapple juice with the powder sugar until smooth. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the glaze on top of each cupcake and sprinkle the toasted coconut on top.
(One note on the coconut, I got the dried coconut at an Asian market and the texture is a lot drier that the usual kind you get at the supermarket. It's almost crispy with no sugar added. So if you are not using the kind I did, make sure to get the ones that's not sweetened.)

2 Comments:

  • Now I'm in a dilemma, I can't decide whether I want your mango pudding or your coconut-pineapple cupcake first... I have to try everything with coconut in it... Probably I should choose to leave your site now, before I discover some more treats ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 AM  

  • Hi Nicky,
    As long as you're sharing your chocolate pudding, we could definitely work out a trade. =)

    By Blogger Winnie, at 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home