Hodge Podge Kitchen

Saturday, April 23, 2005

IMBB #14: Orange you hungry?



The latest IMBB hosted by Foodgoat with the theme of orange. I chose to make something orange in color rather than the fruit orange because out of all the food that are orange in color, mangoes are my favorite. For those that have been to Chinese restaurant for dim sum will recognize this mango pudding. I always thought the dessert came from a box of Robinson's mango pudding mix (kind of like jello). So when I came across this recipe, I knew I had to try it. I used Manila mango (it's our favorite kind), but any ripe ones will do. Since the mango puree was so sweet, I cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup and we didn't miss it at all. It could have probably stay in the refrigerator a bit longer since it just barely set. But I waited as long as I could keep myself away. Make sure to serve with more evaporated milk over.

Mango Pudding

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup 2 percent evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups pureed fresh mangoes
4 ice cubes

Dissolve gelatin and sugar in hot water and stir until the liquid is smooth.
Mix it with the rest of the ingredients and stir until ice cubes are melted.
Pour mixture into molds and chill for 4 hours.

8 Comments:

  • Hannah favorite! Well, in theory anyway, she had about four bites this morning at dim sum. I'm sure she would like your better!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:48 PM  

  • when we go for dim sum, i love watching the "dessert" carts roll by...all the little mango puddings wiggle in perfect unison and for some reason, it totally makes me laugh. thanks for reminding me about it!

    By Blogger sarah j. gim, at 10:56 PM  

  • Super entry! I have two sons in law that love Mangos. Each of them spent a couple of years in Mexico and can't get enough of Mangos. It will be nice to have something to offer them than just the ripened fruit!

    By Blogger Robyn, at 9:41 PM  

  • Yum! Mango pudding vies with custard tarts as my favorite dim sum dessert item. I'm very pleased to learn that its so easy to make.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 PM  

  • i love mango pudding too, but i've never made it at home. thanks for the recipe, i'm going to make it very soon!

    By Blogger santos., at 8:17 PM  

  • Hi Winnie,
    I'm sitting in front of my computer right now, just finishing a cup of still warm chocolate pudding. Wanna trade (*pleeeeaaase*)?! I haven't even heard of mango pudding before - but I'd love to try!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 AM  

  • Alan-
    Hannah seems to like a lot of things in "theory" doesn't she? If only she actually eat all those things...
    Sarah-
    Now that you mentioned it, it is funny to see them wiggle all at once. I'll remember that the next time I'm at dim sum.
    chronicler-
    I think this is a good way to showcase the flavor of mango. But nothing wrong with eating them straight with juices running down your hands either!
    kitchen chick-
    I like custard tarts as well. I would attempt to try making them at home, but I don't think I really want to know how much lard is in the shell... ;)
    barbara fisher-
    My husband likes everything coconut too. Maybe I could replace the evaporated milk with coconut milk next time.
    santo-
    Like I mention on your blog, I'm definitely going to try to make a evaporated milk layer (or coconut milk!) next time, thanks for the inspiration again.
    nicky-
    Yum... warm chocolate pudding. Yes, a trade could definitely be arrange. =)

    By Blogger Winnie, at 8:54 PM  

  • So this is how it should look like! Thanks for sharing the photo. I made one using a recipe a friend gave me. I was too impatient to let it set. I placed it in the freezer and turned it into a sorbet. Hehehe!
    http://readyforblogging.blogspot.com/2006/09/mango-pudding.html

    By Blogger SiKat, at 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home