Hodge Podge Kitchen

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Blood Orange Cake



I meant to make this cake back on Easter. I never got around to it until this weekend. Normally, I don't put icing on cakes. I think all frostings and icings are too sweet. But the blood orange juice has such pretty color I thought I'll use it. I even decorated with a little rose I made our of sour gummy candy, something I'm surprised to still remember from 6th grade home-ed class.

Blood Orange Cake
3 oz cream cheese -- room temperature
3 egg whites -- room temperature
1 tbs cornstarch
1-2 tbs evaporated milk
zest from 1 small blood orange
2 egg yolk -- room temperature
2 oz cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 oz sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Mix cream cheese, evaporate milk, egg yolk, orange zest and half the sugar together until well combined.
2. Whip egg whites and the rest of the sugar together until stiff but not dry.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt. Add to the egg yolk mixture and mix lightly. Fold this mixture into the egg whites.
4. Pour mixture into a cake pan and bake in a preheated oven of 180C (about 350F) until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
juice from blood orange
I forgot to measure how much juice I put in the sugar, but enough so it could be poured. The cake will absorb all of it if it's too thin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home