Hodge Podge Kitchen

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Ginger Sugar Syrup



I told Santo that I might make a ginger syrup to eat with the soft tofu after reading about her hiya-yakko post on her blog. Little did I know that she was having just that while reading my comment. You could check our her version here. So since I mentioned it, it's only fair that I should actually make it as well. Here's my take on it.

Ginger Syrup
2 slabs of chinese brown sugar (about 4 oz total)
2" of fresh ginger, sliced thin
1 cup of water
Melt sugar over low heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Cover and take off heat until cool. Steep ginger in syrup if stronger ginger flavor is desired. Besides adding the ginger syrup to extra soft tofu, I also topped the tofu with candied ginger.

I also tried using the syrup to sweeten a lemonade. I got these HUGE lemons, 6 for $1, at the market the other days. The ginger flavor is still pretty mild right now, hopefully it will get better after a day or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home