Hodge Podge Kitchen

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Blueberry ... surprise.

My sister told me that I should write about the good and the bad about my cooking, and I certainly have lots of bad ones. I had a less than satisfactory experience with some ribs that I meant to write about but didn't. Here, is a beginner's tale that I think many might relate to at one time or another....

So I had a co-worker leaving on maternity leave, so I thought maybe I would make something for the occasion. I can't exactly make a turkey and bring it to work so I thought I would give baking a try. I haven't really baked in a while and decided recently that it really isn't for me at this point of my cooking career. Baking is so precise and exact that I think I like the flexibility of everyday cooking. For this occasion though I cracked open my cookbook and decided that blueberry shortcakes would be simple enough...

Blueberry...surprise.

The newest trick for me with making shortcakes is the whole rubbing of the butter into the flour. After I massaged the butter all over the flour I added the cream and egg...This is where it gets tricky...I added the blueberry mixture into the mix, missing the part in the recipe where it said the blueberry was supposed to be a topping to the shortcake. Oops. I suddenly found myself staring at a gooey mess that will never harden enough to make shortcakes. I was pretty bummed but I really didn't want to waste the fresh blueberries that I bought so I went ahead and put the batter in a pan and baked it. To say it was...moist can be an understatement, but it was actually pretty good. Sara seem to like it, she woke up early one morning and got into it...

IMG_1130

So a lesson for you all: read the recipe all the way through and make sure you understand it first.

2 Comments:

  • Did she climb on the counter and just attack it with her hands??

    By Blogger Winnie, at 4:39 PM  

  • Of course. That's Sara's way to get everything.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home