Hodge Podge Kitchen

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Shrimp Scampi


Shrimp Scampi
Originally uploaded by Alanmine.

I pretty much decide on what to cook based on: a) what seems like a fun, yet yummy science experiment (like stuffing a can inside a chicken), and b) what I happen to have on hand in the kitchen. Today, I had some snow peas in the fridge and decided that it would go well with some shrimp over pasta. Shrimp scampi supposedly has white wine in it, but I was afraid the kids wouldn't like the taste (they are a fan of my chicken marsala though, so who knows with those crazy kids). I substituted with a few cubes of turkey stock instead.

Heat a few swirl of olive oil in a large skillet-like device. Add 2 tablespoons of butter in small cubes. Add a few cloves of chopped garlic and brown for a few minutes. Add a can of diced tomatoes, adding only a quarter to a half of the tomato juice. Also stir in a quarter cup of white wine or broth (or for me, 4 cubes worth). Bring to boil and then simmer until it reduces to about half. Add 1 package of cooked shrimp (package said 350 to 500 shrimps, I didn't count, but it looks like it was around 406) and stir to heat through. Then stir in snow peas (that has been recently blanched) last to keep them from getting all floppy. Add cooked pasta of your choice and toss until sauce covers pasta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home