Hodge Podge Kitchen

Monday, May 23, 2005

Drunken Chicken


Drunken Chicken
Originally uploaded by Alanmine.

I have always wanted try this because it just seemed so cool. Roast a chicken on the grill by sticking a can of beer up the chicken's...er...anyway I came upon a chicken courtesy of my parents. I don't actually drink beer so I made a trip to the local liquor store and got a six pack (hence the cheap stuff you see in the picture). Like a lot of people, my wife has a problem with sticking your hand inside of various poultry. I don't really mind that part, but sticking that can up in there was an interesting experience. Actually, trying to figure out how to yank it out was pretty interesting as well...Fun exercise, and pretty good chicken, but I don't really understand the science of it (which as you know by now, is important to me). I really like that I don't have the buy one of those chicken roaster stands that they sell. I know that the beer would provide moisture and I guess the alcohol adds that certain taste. What I want to know is, can I use cans of other beverages for different flavor and similar effects? I have never seen a recipe using a can of Coke or root beer. Where is Alton Brown when you need him...(or did I just miss that episode?)

3 Comments:

  • Yes, the liquid does impart some flavor, but it's mostly for moisture. You may want to try losing about 1/3 or so of the liquid. This will allow it to heat up faster and get more steam going (drink it ya foo). It also is about the angle of the chick chick. This position keeps the dark meat near the directish heat and keeps the breast meat up and out of the way so it doesn't sear. It also allows the fat to just fall away (put a drip pan underneath so you don't get a huge fire).
    What you need to do is take two pieces of bacon and slide them under the skin over the breast meat. That'll put the touch in there.

    Biggles

    By Blogger Guy, at 2:24 PM  

  • Biggles, you are all about that piece of bacon in the breast. Next time I torch poultry, I'm doing it for you...and I took a few swigs. I think I ended up using a half can. Next time, I'm using a can of coke...with lime.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:27 PM  

  • Bacon & chicken, nothing finer. Coke, or Dr. Pepper. Don't forget to rub the inside of the chicken with salt & pepper. MmmmMMmmm, gravy.

    By Blogger Guy, at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home