Hodge Podge Kitchen

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Sugar High Friday #8 - Pucker Up With Citrus!



The fun part about trying a new recipe is that you don't know exactly how it will turn out. The bad part about trying a new recipe is that you don't know exactly how it will turn out. Alice at My Adventure in Breadbox is the host for the latest edition of SHF. The theme is the refreshing citrus. I always like citrus in dessert because it prevents the dessert from getting too rich and sweet. My original idea was to make ice cream sandwiches. Little did I know that the lemon oatmeal cookie recipe I decided to try made thin, crispy cookies, NOT what I was looking for at all. Chris suggested folding the cookie in half so you could still hold it to eat. That's the tale behind the ice cream tacos! (IF I would have planned this all along I would have put melted chocolate on one side of the cookie like the choco-taco thing you find in stores.) I think it ended up well, except the cookies get really sticky after a couple of days so don't try to do it too far in advance. I topped one above with mini chocolate chips and another with chopped pecans.

Lemon Sherbet
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp lemon zest
Pulse the sugar and lemon zest for a few second to mix in blender. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend for no more than 10 second (you don't want to whip the cream too much.) Follow your ice cream maker direction until it reaches soft serve stage. Transfer to another container and keep in freezer until ready to use.

Lemon Oatmeal Cookie
1/2 cup Shortening
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1 large Egg
1 tsp Lemon zest
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
3/4 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 cup Rolled oats

Cream shortening and white sugar, and then add brown sugar & mix. Add egg, and beat until light. Add lemon rind & juices. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt. Add gradually to creamed mixture.
Mix in rolled oats. Drop onto greased cookie sheet. Bake in 375F oven for 10-12 minutes.

7 Comments:

  • Wow. This is unquestionably one of the best summer desserts I've seen in a while! Oatmeal cookies and lemon sherbert are two of my favorites!

    By Blogger Nic, at 6:41 PM  

  • i like the lemon in the oatmeal cookie! sounds very interesting but yummy :-)

    By Blogger tanvi, at 10:51 PM  

  • These sound awesome! I had never imagined a citrus taco before, but guess what, yours is not the only one that came up for this SHF. Very cool idea!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:29 PM  

  • Looks delish. Gimme the one with the pecans!

    By Blogger Mika, at 8:15 PM  

  • Nic-
    This is really quite refreshinng. Especially after sitting in a hot car for 4 hours coming back from Tahoe!
    Tanvi-
    I like lemon in pretty much everything. So I'm glad that I gave this a try too.
    Alice-
    Another citrus taco?? I can't wait to see it.
    Mika-
    The pecans one is good. But I'm somewhat addicted to chocolate, so I tend to like that one better. =)

    By Blogger Winnie, at 9:36 PM  

  • Ooh! I made citrus tacos too, but in a very different way. Now I want to try your sherbet recipe, it sounds wonderful!

    By Blogger Anne, at 2:01 AM  

  • Anne-
    I guess we're on the same wavelength!

    Jennifer-
    Well, since I can't bare to throw things away just because it didn't quite look right. I have to make do with what I have! =)

    By Blogger Winnie, at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home