Hodge Podge Kitchen

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Luau!

Luau BBQ!

I decided to make my wife's birthday the occasion for our big summer BBQ (All those other ones were rehearsals...Good eating yummy rehearsals). I decided to go with a luau theme and we all made our contributions to add to the atmoshpere.

Roast Pig Head

First, the decor. I got some tiki torches and tropical color streamers, but who says the food can't add to the island theme? I had originally podered the idea of roasting a pig for the occasion, but my wife was against digging a big ditch in our yard. So I decided to just have my parents buy some roast pork, and ask the butcher to throw in the head. I like the grapes added so the eye socket and nostril wouldn't look so gross. Did anyone tell them it's a decapitated pig's head? The Mary Kay lady can't make that good...

Hawaiian Chicken

Anyway the menu was similar to our usual BBQs with some island flair (well, pineapples made numerous appearances). There was sweet and sour pork from my parents in addition to their usual contribution of...meat. I decided to grill some salmon marinated with a soy sauce and maple mix. My sister made a great summer chilled noodle salad to balance out all the meat (You will have to ask her to post if you want the recipe). My friend Michelle made Hawaiian chicken drumette with pine nuts(seen above) that was really good as well. We even had a last minute decision to mix up some Mojitos to keep cool on a blistering summer day.

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Of course, we can't have BBQs without dessert, and the baking member of our team Chris contributed with a delicious pineapple upside-down cake (Again, convince him to join our Hodge Podge circle if you want his secrets). We sat out in the yard until late into the evening, and I think Britt enjoyed her birthday celebration. All of our stomachs certainly had nothing to complain about.

1 Comments:

  • I am still wondering what you are going to do with the coconuts...

    By Blogger Winnie, at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home