Hodge Podge Kitchen

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Agua Fresca

Watermelon Agua Fresca

After a big party, there are always a bunch of food left over. While they were great the first time and probably still delicious the second or third time around, the adventurous in me is always looking for new ways to handle leftovers. The chicken made great quesadillas for lunch, and I decided that the watermelon hogging room in my fridge would turn into Agua Fresca. I was actually asked to make it for the party, but I never got a chance to. With the warm weather, it seemed like a great idea to keep some on hand as a sweet refreshment.

If you have never had Agua Fresca before (from your local taqueria), you are missing out. It's fruity, it's refreshing, and now I know it's easy to make. I saw a few recipes in last week's food section of the SF Chronicle, but it's really easier than that. Basically you cut up the watermelon (or whatever fruit you are using) and add to a blender with some cold water and sugar. Blend until smooth and pour through a mesh to strain out the fruit fiber (you will have to press a little to squeeze all the juice out). Then add a little more water and sugar to taste. For an authentic look, add some extra chunks into the mix and chill....I think I will try Horchatas next time...

1 Comments:

  • Interesting site. Found it thru An Obsession with Food blog-- Winnie made a comment after I did about bitter melon. Anyway, I am part-owner of a little chain of Mexican restaurants in Manila (called Mexicali). We do aguas frescas and we normally use fruits like pineapple, cantaloupe and watermelon. It's great for scorching Manila weather.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home