Hodge Podge Kitchen

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Chocolate Lava Cake



Don't get me wrong, I would NEVER complain about my husband cooking/baking in the kitchen. It's just that he tends to like making dessert and the stuff he likes to try aren't exactly healthy. He have been saying how almost every restaurants have a chocolate lava/molten cake on their dessert menu, some are good and some are not so good. He decided to find out how difficult it really is. He found a recipe for it in his favorite cookbook, In the Sweet Kitchen by Regan Daley. He also had me order ramekins that are the right size. Finally, we needed an occasion to actually make it. The recipe serves 8, there's no way that the two of us is going to eat the whole thing. My brother Alan was nice enough to come over last week to help move our huge and heavy desk from our condo to the dump, so what better way to say thank you than a decadent dessert? What a shock it was for me to find out exactly what goes in these yummy treats! Almost 3 sticks of butter with 6 whole eggs and another 6 egg yolks?!?!? Yikes. Thank goodness I'm not on any diets. As to the level of difficulty, it was pretty hard to bake it just enough to have the right balance of cake that have set and the lovely, thick sauce inside. The first few came out too early, so it's more like a chocolate pudding. (No complains from my nieces though.) The one pictured above came out the best, which ended up being double the time the recipe actually called for. We even have 2 leftovers that we send home with Alan to make for his wife since she couldn't join us due to work. Which reminds me, I still need to ask him how it turned out when he tries it at home...

3 Comments:

  • They turned out mostly fine. I made one the next night and the bottom stuck a little to the ramekin but it was great. Then we never got around to making the second one so a week later, it became more or less brownie....thanks anyway.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:41 AM  

  • I have also been trying to find this recipe. If you wouldn't mind sharing I would really appreciate it thanks. reply to...
    jess45387@yahoo.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 AM  

  • hey some advice how not to stick your lava cake to the cup/ramekin:

    butter the sides and bottom, pour some cocoa powder into the cup/ramekin and slowly turn the cup/ramekin such that the cocoa powder covers all the butter.

    hope this helps^^

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home