Hodge Podge Kitchen

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Shrimp and Vegetable Fettucini Alfredo

My wife was sick recently and when she felt better asked for fettucini alfredo. I always have enjoyed the cream sauce and heard that you wouldn't want to make it yourself because you would realize what was in it and die of a heart attack right there. I was intrigued and wanted to treat my wife so I tried it out....

Fettucini Alfredo

Yeah, this stuff will clog arteries, but it's also why it's so delicious. I saw some recipes that substitutes the cream and butter with half and half and chicken broth and margarine. Maybe I will try it sometimes as an alternative, but I have to try the real thing first. Not much to the recipe. Add the butter slowly to let it melt, then add the cheese even slower and whisk until smooth so it will stay creamy. I sauteed some shrimp and vegetables on hand and stirred it into the sauce last, than added the cooked fettucini and tossed to coat. One dish simplicity, and heart-stoppingly good.

4 Comments:

  • Cream sauces are indeed delicious. I have successfully made them using a combination of low fat or skim milk and powdered milk, which thickens suprisingly well.

    By Blogger Nic, at 6:07 AM  

  • Evaporated skim milk can do wonders as well though I'd try it on a 'small batch' for something as delicate as Alfredo ...

    By Blogger Alanna Kellogg, at 6:55 AM  

  • Oh poo. I think people are just too nervous. You're probably doing fine and as long as you don't have it every week, you'll do FINE.

    Nic! Low fat or skim milk? Go stand in the corner, you're in a time-out.

    Biggles

    By Blogger Guy, at 3:11 PM  

  • margarine is trans-fat - it'll clog up your arteries more than butter. Use skim milk plus wee bit of flour as substitutes. or do what vegans do - use ground almonds or soy milk.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home