Hodge Podge Kitchen

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Yogurt



Sometimes your taste change gradually. And other times, it seems to just change overnight. Yogurt is in the latter group for me. For the longest time, I've been eating the same mass produced stuff in your local supermarket. Then suddenly, almost overnight, they all taste very fake and overly sweet to me. It's not until then that I started to explore other options out there. I tried the French yogurt Spega and found the flavor to be much more natural. It is a bit pricey for everyday though. I love the Total Greek yogurt with the honey on the side, but the fat content on those are a bit too high for everyday as well. The Mamie Nova French yogurt (in Lychee flavor!) is really, really good. Also very expensive and I could only find them at the Made in French/Village Import warehouse that's open once a month. My final solution ended up to be a mixture of all the components that I like about all the yogurts I tried. I get the Trader Joe's Organic Fat-Free Plain yogurt and topping it with different stuff. My favorite topping is honey and roasted almonds, inspired by the Greek yogurt. Second is mixing in chopped up canned lychees for a fruity flavor. I think I managed to get the flavors and texture I like without spending too much. Did I mention it's also very healthy?

4 Comments:

  • Have you tried the Total 0% fat free Greek yogurt? It doesn't come with the honey packaged on the side, but it's just as good (some prefer it, even) as the full-fat Total.

    By Blogger Nic, at 6:33 AM  

  • Hi Nic,
    I haven't try the 0% fat version yet. I treat myself to the regular stuff once in a while so I haven't try the other stuff. Maybe I'll go pick up some tomorrow.

    By Blogger Winnie, at 10:05 PM  

  • Funny, in the last few weeks I have had a urge to try different yogurts than the commerical ones we get at the big supermarkets. I too bought and tried Spega but unfortunately I didn't like it that much but I really like the little bottle it comes in. I also bought and tried the Greek yogurt with the honey on the side and loved it. Didn't realize that had that much fat content. I'll have to try the fate free one myself.

    By Blogger bok choy boy, at 9:07 PM  

  • Hi bokchoycoy,
    It's amazing what you find on those labels, huh? =)

    By Blogger Winnie, at 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home